We read sometimes of bottled records cast up by the sea; here is one that sixteen years later came to light after no journeying, but once in peril of destruction by fire, addressed to the Medford
The following is self-explanatory:—
The ‘letter’ the finder mentions was rolled in a separate paper, on which was written:—
Will the finder kindly send the enclosed paper and this wrapper (after reading) to the Medford Historical Society and oblige the writer.
The above was visible through the glass of the bottle, attracting the finder's attention to the following enclosure:
At the meeting of the Society on September 24, the above was read by Mr. Weitz
, who was Secretary
at the time of the writing in 1901, and the papers are deposited in the Society
The writer was then a new member and willing to ‘do his bit’ toward the preservation of Medford
Knowing something of the old house and its connection with the old waterway, he placed this account of it where it would be readily found at the [p. 80]
renewal of the roof covering.
He scarcely expected ever to see it again, much less to receive it officially, or editorially to make note of the same.
In our reprint, the name of the writer is for obvious reasons omitted, but at its reading the President
remarked, ‘It seems like ‘chickens coming home to roost’.’
There was some delay in the completion of the work in 1901, during which time the railway track was laid near by, and so mention was made of the fact and a new date ‘25’ written above the original ‘13’
As a matter of present record it is well to state that this house is located at right of the end of Canal street, numbered 81 and 83, and the ‘larger main house’ referred to now at the left and numbered 84.
This house was undoubtedly built many years before the canal's inception, as its manner of construction is much different from that of the larger house built in 1802, and which was built directly against this one without removing any of its exterior boards or clapboarding.
This was found to be the case on their removal from their old site in 1889.
It might be an interesting antiquarian study to ascertain what old Medfordite built and first lived in it.