and its college was called Harvard street. By and by there was a half-mile race-track beside it, next a brickyard, and after years of vacancy the place becomes College field
, with Amherst, Bowdoin, Colby
, Dartmouth, Princeton
, with Andover
Along comes another, and across Buzzell
's lane are the abandoned clay-pits of Buzzell
's decadent brick industry, with a piece of upland on Main street extending to College avenue, which name, of course, relates to Tufts college.
The ash dumpage of Somerville
comes into the clay-pits, Captain Adams
' brick house is demolished, and College acres
Stanley and Frederick avenues connect Main street with College avenue and Windsor road with Hinsdale street. Of the significance of these names we are unaware, as well as of Rhinecliff, the next in order.
The only dale
we see is the remains of the old clay-pit, and the only cliff
the edge of the ever-increasing dump, but the slow trickle of Two-penny brook beside it isn't comparable with the great German river.
A lot of the sand of College field has migrated to the acres in the form of the concrete block foundations.
Some store-building syndicate has erected its structure on Main street, and the Church Extension Society located on a strategic point the temporary chapel of St. John's Church.
Across the way, where once was Isaac Royall
's farmhouse, not many years since was the Mystic
Blocks of stores, garage and dwellings now line its new streets.
These bear the names of former proprietors and turfmen — Wright
, Golden and Trott
Hicks avenue leads to the later Combination park and perpetuates its projector's name.
Dexter street recalls a former owner, and in the corner of the city are another owner's children's names — Joseph, Lewis
, Edward and Henry.
Away back in 1845 Edward Hastings
and Samuel Teel
laid out the land on either side High street from