road to the Lowell railroad.
A plan of the same has recently come to the Historical Society on which one reads, “offensive trades prohibited by indenture.”
The noble elms bordering those streets were also of the proprietors' foresight.
The names they gave remain today, save Lowell
, which failed to displace the appropriate one of Canal, and there were Canal streets leading to the Middlesex canal
in other towns also.
Brooks street then extended from Irving
streets, but since to High and Winthrop
Doubtless it was named for Hon. Edward Brooks
, as was the new schoolhouse erected beside it in 1851.
Cottage, probably from the type of houses there erected; Mystic, because of its trend from Mystic
mount (now Hastings heights), toward the river.
are sentimental, reflecting the cultivated and literary taste of Rev. John Pierpont
and Charles Brooks
Woburn street was, of course, the old “Oborne rode” of the early days.
Warren street extends through the old farm of Amos Warren
, and the newer Wyman street through the old Wyman
Gleason street adjoins the Gleason school
, both named for Hon. Daniel A. Gleason
of the school committee.
Madison street was one of the later streets, and probably suggested by James Madison Usher
, a namesake of President Madison
. Usher road lies within the limits of his former estate, while Gorham
, Clewley, Chardon and Wheelwright
are those of relatives of the Brooks
family, whose land they traverse.
Century road was laid out in the closing year of the nineteenth century.
Playstead road is self-evident, as it borders the playground.
Chandler road, because of Frank E. Chandler
's ownership, and Woods Edge road is on the edge of the wooded hill.
Laurel and Vernon
are probably fanciful, as also Boylston
's and Hastings
' lane and Whittle road were proprietary.
is also very truly named, and High street reaches its highest point near by.
At the West End
one looks in vain for Gorham