[p. 13] Lake
parks as shown on Walling
's map of Medford
, or some streets of old recorded plans.
One of these, Winthrop
, became Sharon
by the town's acceptance.
already had a Winthrop street and several names were suggested for this new one, but that of their old home town, suggested by the Morse
brothers, whose new home adjoined it, found most favor.
Myrtle could not be duplicated, and E. W. Metcalf
, an abutter and petitioner, suggested Jerome, in honor of Jerome Bonaparte Judkins
, one of the land developers of 1870.
He was the grandfather of the young soldier, Medford
's first loss in the present war. Mr. Judkins
gave the names of Temple
and Tontine, Lincoln
to those streets.
Holton street was laid out by Samuel S. Holton, Sr.
, to subdivide some large lots and provide a corner location for Trinity Church, and so given his name.
As old Ship street had become Riverside avenue, a new name had to be found for the western one, which on acceptance became Arlington street. It is a long street, reaching nearly to Arlington line.
In a subdivision of the older plan in 1870 two new streets were called Linden
, both grafted into Myrtle.
As the latter was uprooted or transplanted as Jerome, so Linden
got the name of a worthy resident, Fairfield
remains, and that only on paper.
Minot street of the old plan was laid out by the county commissioners as Boston avenue, and it had been better had a suggestion of eighty feet wide instead of sixty been heeded.
Whatever suggested Monument is a query.
Possibly Bunker Hill
monument was then
visible there over the rise of College hill
(not now),, as it was from Grove street near by. Mr. Brooks
planted a grove in the “Delta
” in 1820; from this may have come the name given the old Cambridge road to Woburn
, now Grove street. Bower
) street was so called by Thomas P. Smith
, land owner, for a Bower street where he had formerly