Of those park names Gorham
was a family name (of Brooks
), while Lake
was appropriate, as a miniature lake or pond was shown therein.
Conditions favored the same, as the writer has seen the springy ground there covered with flags and cat-tails.
In Plan Book 8, Plan 1, 1855
, is the same territory (see Register, Vol.
I, p. 126), being the “Fuller
plan of Smith
Here we must “good naturedly” differ a little with His Honor, who styles it “the present laying out.”
's plan was made in early '50s, but little or no use was made of it until 1870, when, on June 21, there was a land sale on the premises.
In 1865 the conduit of the Charlestown water works was built across this entire tract.
plan (which omitted the “parks” and had a somewhat different arrangement of streets) was modified somewhat.
Two new plans were later made by Josiah Hovey
covering the entire river border, or half the area of “Brooklands,” which name had been forgotten.
Then the county commissioners came and laid out Boston avenue, as they had previously done with Harvard avenue. Therein lies an explanation of the hopeless tangle of lines intersected by the fifth and sixth circles on the plan formerly alluded to. But the subdivision did not end with these, as conveyancers find sometimes to their dismay, for numerous other smaller plans are duly recorded, but not all in this section.
Who knows where Emperor street is?
If any one now should make “a laying out with royal names” he might lay himself open to criticism.
But in 1855, Plan Book 7, p
. 33, is “old road now called Emperor street.”
Book 8, p
. 26, is a “rough form” of the same by Daniel Ayer
, of whom an old resident says, “He had a faculty of developing all sorts of odd places.”
The old schoolmaster, Aaron K. Hathaway
, made the finished and earlier recorded plan.
One house was erected on this royal layout; is now, and has been for sixty years, the farthest removed from neighbors of any in Medford