Emperor street is part of the old lane or wood road leading from Winthrop street by the old railroad cut in Sugar-loaf hill.
After crossing the west branch of meetinghouse brook it turns sharply to the left at the foot of a hill on which are the other royalties-King, Queen
, and Prince.
was the equivalent of Kaiser
sixtythree years ago, but the modern Kaiser
will find no place on Medford
's modern map.
On the Walling map, midway between the almshouse and Oak Grove Cemetery, is shown the “Meridian Monument, Harvard University,” due north from the observatory at Cambridge
This was torn down four years ago (Register, Vol.
XVII, p. 23). In the second number of Vol.
XVI may be found a view and description of same; also in an earlier issue of the Medford Mercury
In the reports of Metropolitan Park Commission are maps showing its various takings in Medford
along the river and in the rocky woodland of the Fells.
On the latter, various localities like “old silver mine
” and others are shown, but we look in vain thereon for the “Od Man of the Fells
” (Register, Vol.
To the Water Department
report (1893) is attached a map of the vicinity of Wright
We thought we saw on this, at the proper location, the words Indian Profile
, but a reading glass only showed the same to be but topographical shading marks.
Later reports contain half-tones, showing the dam and water tower in construction; and on page 200 of Medford Reports, 1898,
is a fine view of the completed works, which were for a time the high service of Medford
's water system, now a thing of the past and partially removed.
The town records show that as long ago as 1738 a map of Medford
was suggested, and by vote left to the discretion of a committee, but nothing came of it. Had there been one made then, it would have been of equal interest, and practically contemporary with the Usher plan of the Royall estate across the river, then in Charlestown
The vote of the town (July 19, 1738) was that