the affier of plan of Medford
and the land voted to petition for should be left to ye Discretion of the Committee
have Imployed in that affaier to act therein as they shall judg most for the Towns
had two years before petitioned for a thousand acres of province land and employed a surveyor to lay out the same.
A “plat” and description thereof was required and was returned to the General Court in 1736.
The grant of December 29 received the signature of Governor Belcher
on January I, 1736-7 (see Massachusetts Archives
, also elsewhere in this issue). There being no legislation requiring
it, that committee probably considered the “plan of Medford
” as unnecessary.
In 1898 there was published by G. W. Stadly
& Co. an Atlas of Medford
, consisting of twenty-one double pages.
Upon one of these is the Tufts map of 1794 and the reprint of the Walling map we have alluded to. The first plate shows the entire territory of the city in colors, and has Arabic numerals in each shade referring to the succeeding sectional plates, while the various wards are designated by Roman
A peculiar feature is the section above the Fellsway, then called “Osgood heights,” with its winding streets, thus necessary because of the local elevation and contour.
These sections indicate all then existing houses.
The Atlas of Boundaries, 1898
(see Register, Vol.
XVIII, p. 90), beside the map, is devoted to description of the boundary lines, and contains half-tone cuts of all the thirty monuments that mark the corners of Medford
Thus far we have mentioned the maps and plans that ordinarily come under observation.
A visit to the office of the city engineer reveals Medford
on the map in closer detail.
Twenty-eight sheets (5 x 8 feet leonine paper mounted upon cloth) are covered with accurate drawing on the scale of forty feet to the inch, showing the shape and location of every building on its lot, and the property divisions of each owner in the inhabited portions of the city.
The brooks and natural water courses are shown,