As already stated, this town farm was procured in the interest of religion and education.
Its development and care seems to have been the subject of town meetings for a period of fourteen years, and the ancient town record is of much interest.
, in his excellent article on Medford
schools, Register, Vol.
III, p. 12, alludes to it, and locates it ‘between the Piscataqua
and Merrimac rivers
,’ evidently quoting from Brooks
But his entire article contains carefully made quotations from the town records relative to school matters.
As will be seen from the above, this town farm was two miles westward
from the Merrimack
on its small tributary, the Piscataquogg, and not
nearly forty miles eastward on the larger Piscataqua
The old town record book is surely interesting.
We found it so as we sat in the present cramped quarters of the city clerk's office with the book in our lap and copied verbatim the town's doings of nearly two centuries agone, and were reminded of the flight of present time every quarter hour by the cathedral chimes just outside.
Evidently that ‘the king's business demands haste’ was the thought in those days, as the town warrant, dated February 3, 1735-6, called a town meeting three days
later and some others in lesser time.