that the house and fencing were a dead loss to Medford
, and that the ‘utensils’ only remained for the town to realize anything from.
Just what the ‘Possession Fence’ was, that Medford
erected on the two land boundaries, which were something over a half mile in length, we do not know, probably not of barbed wire, though the pitch pine and maple trees on the river bank would have made good terminal posts for such.
In 1746 the last surviving heir of Mason
had sold his rights to twelve gentlemen of Portsmouth
, who, to conciliate, recorded quit claims to towns where settlement had been made, but we have found no indication of Medford
being thus favored.
It might be interesting to know how the old tenor basal price named for the vendue compared with the standard hard money of the time.
By careful comparison of the foregoing plat and its bounds and courses with the map of the New Hampshire
county of Hillsborough
, it is evident that the town farm was within the territory incorporated by Gov. Benning Wentworth
on June 16, 1761, as Goffstown
, in honor of Col. John Goffe
, a resident of the adjoining town of Bedford
, and one of the chainmen named in the certificate of Caleb Brooks
The Masonian proprietors had made a grant in 1748 to Rev. Thomas Parker
, and to others.
These last were probably the ‘some Peoples’ and the Portsmouth
gentlemen referred to in Medford
records, and by or under them the first settling thought to have been begun in 1742.
The decision of the crown as to boundary was in 1740, and gave to New Hampshire
territory fourteen miles further south than she had ever claimed.
Piscataquogg meant ‘great deer place.’
The usual reservation of ‘masts for our royal navy’ was in the charter of all the scores of towns chartered by Wentworth
, and perhaps after
province days some of the timber of that region found its way to Medford