‘Squog’ village, within the two miles west of the Merrimack
, has been annexed to, and is now a part of, Manchester
In 1812 there was built, perhaps on quite this old Medford
town farm, a canal boat called the Experiment
. It was hauled by forty yoke of oxen to the Merrimack
, launched on the river, loaded, and made the trip down stream under the charge of Captain Isaac Riddle
It left the river at Chelmsford
and came through the Middlesex canal
, thus voyaging through Medford
, where its arrival was hailed with cannon salute.
It is recorded that the enterprise boomed Bedford
, the ‘Hamp
shier’ town, but we find no record of any material boom coming to Medford
by the grant of the General Court and the town's outlay thereon, or any help in the support of minister or schoolmaster from the ‘town's farm’ in ‘Old Harry's town.’
M. W. M.