[p. 54] years came some eighteen hundred settlers, some of whom found homes across the river where now is Wellington, and at Mystic-side or Maiden. To accommodate these a ferry was established, and the Missi-tuk began to be a highway, and later began to be utilized for power when mills were erected. Next came the bridge built near the ford, which, during the ship-building period, was reconstructed with a draw, and finally succeeded by the present double-arched granite structure. Next was built the Wear bridge, and these two continued to be the only bridges until the Maiden bridge was built at the Penny-ferry in Charlestown. The colony and province days had been a quarter century gone ere the Mistick was bridged again, this time by a more massive structure, strong enough to carry, not a highway, but a waterway, with its superincumbent weight, the aqueduct of the Middlesex canal. This in 1802. Thirty-two years more and the canal was to have a rival, and Lowell railroad bridge was built nearby, the Winthrop bridge in 1855, and the Usher bridge in 1857. In 1863 the Charlestown Water-works bridge, and in 1873 the Canal bridge on the old aqueduct piers, connected West Medford with Somerville territory, and another at Auburn street the same year. Meanwhile the Middlesex-avenue bridge, with a draw, had been erected, and in earlier years (down stream, and not in Medford bounds) Chelsea bridge and those of the Eastern, and Boston and Maine railroads. In recent years the Canal, Armory, Auburn street-Parkway, and Metropolitan pipe bridge, and just now the Boston Elevated to Everett, complete the list of fourteen now in use and two discontinued and removed. It had been our purpose to present views of all these, but conditions forbid. We can only refer our readers to the engineer's report (September 21, 1904) on the ‘Improvement of Upper Mystic River’ for the twelve then existing, and also to various reports of the Metropolitan Park Commission, for subsequent improvements.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
William Gray of Salem and Samuel Gray of Medford .
E Pluribus Unum—a Civil war poem.
Connecting link in Medford Church history.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.