[p. 90] similar construction at the rear of the room, filled with books of the association's library. In the other corner was a cylinder stove of the 1850 style. About six feet high, it was famous for its heating qualities, and now, after forty-eight years more, for its longevity, as it is still in commission ‘at the old stand.’ Wooden settees, some painted, perhaps relics of the seminary, with others of later introduction, stained with the umber of human contact, seated the attendants. An ornamental chandelier, originally with glass prism pendants, held four kerosene lamps. There was also a shaded lamp for the pulpit. As there were no collections (this was before the days of ‘weekly offerings’) there were no ‘contribution boxes,’ as the term used to be. A cabinet organ, loaned by some interested one, completed the furnishings of the room, which was well finished and lighted by six large unshaded windows. It would be interesting to trace the fate of such of these articles as are not there still in use. Suffice it to say, that the ‘pulpit’ was in later years in evidence as a desk or counter in a West Medford paint shop. Four West Medford churches, Congregational, Universalist, Baptist and Shiloh, have been served by these and similar in this same Mystic hall. Reference has been made to records of the Christian Union. Could such be found, more accurate statement of its final dissolution might be written. Till then, Mr. Hooper's statement is fitting:—
This Society retained its organization until 1872, when its leading members took measures to form themselves into separate organizations.The records of such show Trinity (Methodist Episcopal), April 1, 1872; West Medford Congregational, June 12, 1872. These are the first of the new order. Their half century mark is nearing. The West Medford Christian Union prepared the way.
M. W. M.