and bore the military title of General, though it was acquired in ‘the piping times of peace.’
His father, Benjamin Franklin
, removed to South Woburn, establishing himself there in the leather business.
He also had a title, as he was chosen deacon of the Congregational Church, which was formed in this new section of Woburn
, which in 1850, with slices of West Cambridge
and Medford territory
, became the town of Winchester
Deacon Benjamin Thompson
continued in office and in business until 1864, and was succeeded in the latter by his sons Abijah and Stephen.
The former was especially interested in historic matters, and paid much attention to the preservation of the annals of his native and later home towns.
We recall that in the ‘60s he planned for the erection of a residence beside the Aberjona
, laying out a miniature park, planting trees and building bridges across the stream.
But for some reason he ceased work there and erected a pleasant dwelling-place in the west part of the town and there resided for many years.
In the former place he was years in advance of the times; but present ‘Manchester
field’ is the site of his father's factory, and the improved Aberjona
, with its island and bridges, is a part of the Metropolitan park system.
When the Winchester
Historical Society was in operation he was interested in its work.
For some years he was mainly instrumental in publishing the Winchester Press
. The weekly issues of that paper contained many articles written by him, or secured by him from others, which form a highly interesting narrative and trustworthy basis of a town history.1
This must have been a labor of love on the part of Abijah Thompson
, appreciated by some of his townsmen —and unappreciated by many others.
Historical Society is now inoperative, but during its active days published two volumes which contain much of interest, including papers read at its