To those who forsook the stately meeting-house up old High street, and turned into the lane (now Ashland street) and climbed the stairs to the second floor of Mr. Francis
' bake-house that summer day, the contrast must have been great.
Perhaps it was too great, as only two Sabbaths were spent there, and better quarters secured.
Again this quotation tells us where.
in his excellent paper only says—
A hall in the neighborhood was fitted up.
This bake-house room was later used in the gold-beating business and finally demolished in 1896.
It was of brick, substantially built, and served its purpose well.
But there was another old brick house, in recent years demolished, on Ship street, called ‘the College
,’ where in 1822 some people not of the old Medford church assembled.
More unsuited for such purpose than the bake-house was this dwelling, and in the evening their worship was transferred to ‘the hall in one of the hotels.’
In this case we are fortunate in knowing the name of the preacher, Rev. Josiah Brackett
, and also the texts he preached from.
Beside the river on Main street (where is now the four-story building of brick) stood a two-story wooden building.
In this was the ‘Mead's Hall,’ to which the Methodists, who first met in the ‘College,’ transferred their services until the building of their first house of worship on Cross street. It must have been a busy hive in the olden days.
Here is the late Francis A. Wait
's description of it.
The house at the river was old and low studded: set back from the sidewalk more than the others and required six steps up to the first floor, and steps from the street to the eating-room in the basement, kept by John and Peter Danforth.
A Mrs. Hathaw lived in the rear; entrance from the street level.
An old bachelor shoemaker named Pat Conely1 lived and worked in the south end; Wyman & Locke, butchers, in the north end.
illustrated his note by a sketch of this house, showing a fourth entrance, to the end away from the