his famous pictorial weekly.
His illustrations were on a larger scale, engraved on wood, and though the invention of Daguerre
was in 1839, there is little evidence of its being employed in the ‘Pictorial
The tornado of August 23, 1851, is there depicted, the locality being the site of the West Medford postoffice and opposite.
How artists' views might differ can be seen in a view of the same place and occurrence in the Illustrated National Mirror
In 1855 came the publication of the History of Medford
, by Rev. Charles Brooks
, and in this are eight steel engravings.
had then the ‘Daguerreian Rooms’ of O. R. Wilkinson
, not as yet styled a photographer.
His work forms the basis of three of these.
The first, we notice, shows five buildings on Main street (all there today), the second story of the left-hand one unchanged, save that the artist's sign is gone.
Several people are at the store door, women and children are looking in the windows—Tinkham's now—and a man is stooping over, as if in pain.
Next is one with a big black sign over the door and a smaller one that looks like Drugs beside it. Iron bars hang from the windows, for storekeepers used ‘to put shutters up’ at night.
There is a different front now.
Next, ‘F. H. Kidder
’ sold ‘Boots & Shoes,’ as two signs tell.
A high wooden gate closes the space between this and the ‘Rail Road Station,’ the three-story building with the bell on the rear end of the roof-ridge.
Then another of two stories, with door and window, and driveway through to the dock in the rear.
This the writer recognizes as the coal office where he bought his first winter's coal of Luther Angier
in 1870, with more pleasure, less money, and better results than present conditions give.
‘A. L. Rawson
was the delineator
of this view from Wilkinson
's daguerreotype, and ‘F. T. Stuart
. engraved) the steel plate from which it was printed.