across the river from South
This, also, is comprehensive, showing the extensive grounds, with their pagodas, statuary and sinuous paths, the hedge bordering the creek (the latter still to be seen beside our modern parkway), the substantial fence and gateway, and something of High street.
Towering beyond the mansion is the storied steeple of the Unitarian church, while among the numerous trees can be seen the old Bigelow house, where is now the Tufts residence and Grace Church.
The English cottage, later the Boynton house
, can also be seen on the shaded hill slope.
This view is also ‘delineator’ Rawson
's primary work; but the sculptor
was J. W. Watts
, a resident of West Medford, and noted for his excellent work in steel engraving.
The views of the so-called Cradock house and the residence of Gorham Brooks
give us the oldest
and most realistic portrayal; the latter is made more so by the slave-wall in front and the distant view of the old wood-burner engine and cars on the railroad, then not very old. The Edward Brooks
(Peter Chardon Brooks
, 1802) residence is another.
Of this fine estate scarce a vestige now remains, but the view is an excellent one.
The view of Walnut-tree hill was also by Rawson
and made from Broadway
But two buildings, Ballou
hall and Packard
hall, crown its summit, and one dwelling at the end of Professors row, for the college had but just been instituted.
Beyond are the hills and spires of Malden
, which then included Everett
, and nearer, the winding Mystic
with its broad marshes, and still nearer, Main street, with a little of the slope of Winter hill
Just where the station now stands is a railroad train, the cars very small as compared with the engine.
The encircling avenue around the college buildings is well bordered with trees.
Numerous cattle are grazing in the pasture, where is now Jackson College, the new ‘Chem.
and the ‘Oval.’
In the foreground