is a sylvan scene.
Large trees border both sides of Two-penny brook as it courses through the entire plain and broadens into a pond in which are their shadows, and where a cow has waded in to drink.
Thirty years later, in the reprint of the history, this view is again given, printed from the same steel plate.
Of but one other we speak, the ‘Brooks Schoolhouse, 1851,’ a wood engraving by Kilborn
, which must have been made from the architect's drawings.
Whatever the schoolhouses of Medford
were in years before, there was some architecture
in this, made possible by the gifts of interested citizens of West Medford.
This has been reproduced in the Register of July, 1916, with its authentic story.
An enlargement of it hangs in the principal's room in the present Brooks school building.
In 1854 the Mystic Hall Seminary
at West Medford was opened.
This was a private boarding school for young ladies, Mrs. T. P. Smith
After four years, she removed it to Washington, D. C.
It was housed in three substantial buildings, two of which remain today.
Strange to say, no mention of it was made by either historian.
From its year-book two views of the seminary buildings have been reproduced in the Register, Vol.
XI, No. 3, and illustrate the story of the famous school written (and read at a Society meeting) by one who attended and graduated from it.
Two views of the little mill on the Arlington
side of the river, whose ‘wooden dam old W——d’ was the cause of an incipient riot in 1870, the Register has presented.
One is from a pencil drawing by Francis Wait, the other shows it at an earlier time.
It was the ‘Tinkham
Brothers' Tide-mill’ of Trowbridge
's famous story, the Wood's mill
of actual fact.
In the first Medford Journal
of 1857 there was no attempt at pictorial illustration, nor yet in the great ‘blanket sheet’ of Usher
's Medford Journal