[p. 41] the ornamental grounds and gateway also, are suggestive of the time. The granite posts are still there, and the socket holes of the iron hinges, also the granite walls. This picture the next year yielded place to the other, which shows the three by looking west. While in this the shape of the ‘Mystic Mansion’ and Mystic Hall are correctly given, the alignment is poor. It was with the ‘delineator’ a case of multum in parvo. The farthest house was really as far from High street as is the present 56. The fence around Mystic Hall was there in 1870, but in line with the oval was a willow four feet in diameter, which could not have grown in the fifteen years since 1855. Again, we found in 1870 an unsightly outbuilding, screened somewhat (where the oval is shown), on the walls of which various classic quotations were written. We will quote one:—
Honest man, in the ear of reason, is a grander title than peer of the realm or prince of the blood.There was also a greenhouse beyond the ‘mansion’ which, with the former-named, was removed in 1870. But that the dormers are too high in the roof and the basement windows also too far from the ground, the artist did well with this house and caught the salient feature of the pilasters of Mystic Hall. The big sycamore behind the mansion is true to form, but we can hardly forgive the omission of the railroad, which lies between them. In this, also, the physical department is in evidence in Canal street—the young ladies with their instructor at the rear, but they don't all ride that way now. One thing the artist did not show—it was not very prominent—the stone set in the brick wall under the second story middle window. In it is cut 1812, the date of the building's erection by the town as its almshouse. Old pictures, even if crude, are worth saving.