Medford's Bulky red Nose.IN Vol. XVIII, No. 1, Medford Historical Register, was ‘High Street in 1870.’ That it awakened interest is shown by the following letter, which was directly acted upon. (See Mr. Hooper's article on ‘Pine and Pasture Hills,’ and ‘Introductory Note’ in the Register's next issue.
Not all Mr. Stetson's queries were answered, and we are presenting them anew, with his ‘notes’ in full, hoping they may awaken new interest along historic lines. He was the son of Rev. Caleb Stetson, the able minister of [p. 46] the First Parish (1827 to 1848). Under the caption ‘A Medford Schoolboy's Reminiscences,’ in Vol. XVII, No. 4, is a most interesting contribution to our columns to which we call especial attention. His parents lived in Medford, first in the Rev. Charles Brooks house, but later on High street where is now St. Joseph's rectory. In reading his ‘Reminiscences’ and these following ‘notes’ it will be seen that he was ‘at home’ on old High street, and his observations and descriptions the very best. It was to our regret that his likeness did not appear among the ‘Octogenarians’ with the old ‘Highschool house’ at that time, as we had intended. It is now seven years since he passed away from his home in New Bedford, Mass., where he took up the practice of law in 1854. Though he had not been in Medford for many years, he retained pleasant memories of his boyhood home, and was a subscriber to the Register. Turn to Vol. XIII, p. 93, and note his story of the ‘sham fight’ and later artillery practice (where is now the Fellsway) which explained the finding of cannon balls on the hillslope above. On p. 45, Vol. XIX, is his likeness, which appeared in the New Bedford paper at his passing away at the age of nearly eighty-six years. We put off our intended visit to him too long. It would have been worth while to have heard from his own lips about the High street and the old Medford of 1840s. The following is copy of the papers sent us:—