In the foregoing lines is a lot of information given by no other writer, which is replete with interest.
place (or library building) was probably (see Register, Vol.
XXII, No. 1) erected in 1834-5.
Its frontage on High street is about equal with those enumerated B to G (inclusive), about two hundred feet, which latter limit is reached at the line between the Centre school
and Telephone and Historical buildings.
The ‘cobbler's shop’ must have been just east of where Hillside avenue now is, but the hill has been more excavated since Mr. Stetson
's boyhood observation.
‘Aunt Polly's’ candy shop was probably well known to him and other Medford
He locates the tan yard as across the street from the old sexton's house, and in his notes inquired about the gravel of the varge-way.
Were we to venture an answer, we would say both kinds
, red opposite this point and white farther south, as a natural sequence.
When the Metropolitan sewer was constructed (in 1892) at this point in High street, much red gravel was dug out from its trench, some of which the writer made use of for walks, and found it as good as Mr. Stetson
The ‘great excavation’ back of the ‘Josselin house’ at F was made greater to accommodate the High school house extension, as a look at the grounds will witness.
note.— ‘High School No. 2’ is the front of the two similar sections of the Centre school
building, not including the entrance wing, and originally standing with gable end toward street, and built in 1843.
Of the other five north-side houses mentioned, H to L (inclusive), we of today know, as three still remain—fine examples of old-time construction.
H, the Richard Hall house
, was demolished, and stood on the site of the Telephone Exchange
I was later the home of Dr. Daniel Swan
, after his death the property of the town of Medford
In 1881 it was sold; the purchaser moved it to Mystic avenue,