where it now stands.
Only recently it has undergone extensive renovation and is now (at number 41) a three-apartment house.
An excellent transparent photograph of this house is in the Historical rooms.
The three other houses enumerated by Mr. Stetson
still remain in excellent condition, the last being that of Captain Isaac Hall
On that historic morning, ‘glorious for America
,’ there was ‘a clatter of hoofs in the village street,’ and here Paul Revere
made a brief stop and aroused Captain Hall
Just inside the fence is a weather-worn block of Medford
granite, on which is a bronze tablet stating the fact, placed there by the Sons of the Revolution in June, 1905.
Since (and including) 1916, as a part of Patriots' Day celebration, a rider personating Paul Revere
, with cavalry escort, stops at this house, which the present owner and occupant, Mr. Edward Gaffey
, kindly opens for the occasion.
Old High street is thronged while waiting his arrival and during the memorial exercises, which are always patriotic and interesting.
Then the rider, amid the cheers of the multitude, sets off for old Menotomy
had (probably) not been in Medford
since 1875, the centennial of Patriots' Day (at which time he was ‘chairman of the day’ at Lexington
), but the remembrance of his boyhood home was vivid.
His queries open to us a new field of thought, and like him we would like a view of this particular locality ‘as nature left it,’ or as Miles Standish, and later Cradock
's men, found it.
Nature works many changes in the lapse of centuries, but the hand of man has certainly dug away much of ‘the great bastion of Pasture hill
,’ the ‘crest’ of which at Summit road is one hundred twenty-seven feet above the ‘Ford at Mistick.’
The bridge of the ‘bulky red nose’ (the turn of Grand View avenue) just behind the Historical building
is sixty-six feet, and High street at Governors avenue is twenty-five feet above mean low water.
Remembering that the ford was practicable only at