that stage, what wonder that the country road to Woburn
(‘obornrode’ of record) got the name of High
Who will answer Mr. Stetson
and what artist will draw the map or paint the picture?
Governors avenue as it was.
Illustrative of the preceding pages and to show one of the changes that has occurred, we reproduce from the street commissioner's report for 1895 one of his illustrations with the title he used.
The point of view is on the southerly side of High street and the tract in view was owned by the town.
Upon it had been the home of Dr. Daniel Swan
, which during its municipal ownership had been rented for $200 a year.
In 1881 it was sold and moved away.
There was a barn in the rear, in which the highway department for a time kept its horses, to the annoyance of the immediate neighbors.
It also dug out gravel in quantity for the repair of the streets.
We never heard this excavation called the City Hole
, like another not far away, but it did acquire the name of the ‘gravel pit.’
In 1875 the somewhat famous Magoun Battery1
was needing quarters, and like some other projects, the plans therefor were somewhat flighty.
The good sense of the selectmen was shown in the erection of a serviceable building which could ultimately ‘be used for something else’ over the unsightly hole
The hole was then used for the shelter of the carts and road-scraping machine, and served the purpose well.
For some years it was open to public view but later enclosed by a board fence.
The folding gates were of flat palings loosely bolted to the rails; a counter balancing weight to each lifted them against the tall posts.
battery organization was dissolved by an order of the adjutant general
, sent to the selectmen.
The building was then used by the highway department as