[p. 76] After the Journal's discontinuance, the Chronicle continued to be the only paper in Medford for six years. It was with surprise that we heard Mr. Morss say (in after years) that he preserved no file of his paper; and we have found no copies anywhere, only such as have come into the Historical Society's rooms. The later ones were eighteen by twenty-four inches, with seven columns. We especially note one with heavy black lines, on the occasion of the death of President Garfield. In 1880 Mr. Morss had a competitor in the journalistic field, Mr. Samuel W. Lawrence, who began the publication of the Medford Mercury, with William E. Smythe as local editor, who was succeeded by George W. Stetson, who thus continued until 1902. The Mercury's first issue was of December 18, 1880. Somewhat over a year later, Mr. Lawrence purchased the Chronicle's interests and merged it with the Mercury. Mr. Wilber (in the article to be alluded to) tells of ‘four single publications’ by James M. Usher in 1889: The Reformer of April 22, the Advertiser of June 22, and the Middlesex Union of June 29, and mentions their features. Doubtless, we saw them at their time, but they have faded from our memory. (The Historical Society would be glad to add them to its collection if anyone has preserved them.) But another, the Brooks Advocate, had a longer career than these. It was issued at the time of the proposed division of the town, advocating it and the incorporation of the western section beyond Winthrop street, under the name of ‘Brooks.’ During the present month one issue of this has drifted into the Historical collection and it is hoped that others may. The Advocate probably ceased when the adverse action of the General Court was taken, or soon after. In succeeding years there have been other papers issued in Medford for a brief period, but which are now forgotten, except as we find them among the ‘strays’ in the Historical rooms.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Views of Medford .
Women of the Mayflower and Plymouth Colony.
Mr. Stetson 's notes on information wanted.
Old ships and ship-building days of Medford .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.