[p. 77] A complete file of the Riverside News (seventeen by twenty-four inches, seven columns), the first of November 12, 1886, recently came to the Society, preserved by the thoughtfulness of one of Medford's citizens. It was published by S. A. Wetmore, who fell on evil times (financially) in his effort, and its publication abruptly ceased on July 6, 1887. It certainly was a fine, newsy effort and its untimely end to be regretted. Another, the Medford City News, in 1892, under the editorial care of C. H. Hillman, had a little over a year's circulation. This had its office on Salem street, and was directly succeeded by, and near by, the Medford Times, but not for long. The Medford Light was issued by George S. Delano, a somewhat gifted and versatile citizen of Medford. It was nicely gotten up, more like a magazine than a weekly paper, both as to its page size and contents. Mr. Delano was chief contributor to its columns, and persevered in his enterprise for a time, but at last succumbed to the inevitable. A partial file of this is also at the Society's rooms. Another effort was the Mystic Muse, but the Muses smiled not on it, and it is now long forgotten. In 1902 came another aspirant for popular favor. A publishing company being formed by several well known citizens and associated with experienced newspaper men and with Charles D. Rooney as editor, the Medford Citizen appeared on October 1, 1901. Its office was in Odd Fellows (now Elks) Building, and the paper, well gotten up, was well received by the public and bade fair to become the leading paper in Medford. But after a year had elapsed, in 1901, whether conscious of it or not, the Mercury had attained its majority age of twenty-one years. Its publisher, Mr. Lawrence, then retired from the journalistic field and sold to John F. Wood, who had a brother, Charles. Both were expert in their calling and brought to the Mercury the benefits of such experience. During its former years that paper had its
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Views of Medford .
Women of the Mayflower and Plymouth Colony.
Mr. Stetson 's notes on information wanted.
Old ships and ship-building days of Medford .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.