[p. 79] seventy-fifth anniversary of its settlement; and the Mercury made especial note of it in its columns; and also anticipated it by publishing a souvenir volume of one-hundred and seventy pages, entitled ‘Medford, Past and Present.’ In that is an article on the ‘Newspapers of Medford,’ by Mortimer E. Wilber, to which we are indebted for some of our facts. It is highly interesting, containing but few errors, and those slight. Such corrections of them as are now made are from sources then not available. This book is especially noteworthy and creditable, as its various writers were all Medford people and (as we were told) all its mechanical features were executed by Medford men doing business in Boston. Also, in 1905, the Mercury issued a ‘Twenty-fifth Anniversary number,’ dating from its establishment by Mr. Lawrence, and not from that of the Chronicle of 1872, whose interest and good will it had acquired by purchase. William Preble Jones succeeded Captain Pitman in the editorial sanctum, until the sale of the paper to Claude David in 1912. Mrs. David was his associate editor, but neither succeeded in revolutionizing Medford during their management. The city hall project was much in evidence, and the old one which had been the ‘town hall of the grandfathers’ was continually maligned in the weekly issues. An automobile gift project, which did not materialize, was somewhat exploited, and soon after, the paper came into its present management. A marked change was noted, especially by its subscribers and patrons. In November, 1918, the Mercury moved to Medford square, to the old historic home of Jonathan Porter, at Nos. 4 and 6 Main street, occupying the first floor as office and press-room and the entire second as composing and job-printing rooms. Before the removal, however, another ‘esteemed contemporary’ appeared on the scene, this time the Medford Messenger, issued by E. B. Thorndike from Harvard
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Views of Medford .
Women of the Mayflower and Plymouth Colony.
Mr. Stetson 's notes on information wanted.
Old ships and ship-building days of Medford .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.