[p. 80] street in South Medford. This was an eight-page paper, eleven by fourteen inches, six columns on a page, and first appeared October o, 1913. On January 2, 1914, it was enlarged to fifteen by twenty-one inches, and in 1922 its volume was extended by additional issues to the end of the year, making the succeeding volume begin with the calendar year. In 1916, there appeared a new venture in Medford journalism—The Review. This was an eight-page, six column weekly of the same size as the Mercury and Messenger. Its heading was ornamented with a cut of a ship ready for launching, and bore the legend, ‘News, Arts and Sciences.’ Captain Pitman was with it at its inception, but for some cause or other soon left it to the management and editing of Herbert A. Weitz. Its first issue was on April 15, 1916. In January, 1917, it ceased. The last issue is of ‘Second Year, No. 1’—was the thirty-seventh number, and contains no intimation of suspension or discontinuance. The Historical Society has a complete file of the Review, whose office was at High street in West Medford. There have been at various times publications by various societies, secular, fraternal and religious, which are worthy of notice. They were issued in furtherance of some special object. The ‘fair papers,’ announcing a fair or festival, of course were ephemeral,—still a collection of such would be of historic interest. They were generally financed by their advertising patrons for the furtherance of their respective objects, and, as was expected, only transitory. Several of the Medford churches have at times published weekly or monthly papers. In 1886 and 1887 the First Medford Episcopal Church published its Enterprise, a monthly (Rev. L. D. Bragg edited it) in furtherance of the big enterprise of raising the burdensome debt upon the church property. That it was a help is seen in the fact that its first two subscription payments was the first money collected toward
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Views of Medford .
Women of the Mayflower and Plymouth Colony.
Mr. Stetson 's notes on information wanted.
Old ships and ship-building days of Medford .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.