[p. 81] $14,000. Some town news, as well as parish and church, may be found in its columns. In 1901, Rev. J. V. Clancy launched the Parish Beacon, an eight-page monthly, in May. Though primarily in behalf of the West Medford Congregational Church, it was of interest to the community; and the business men of West Medford helped to finance it in their way. It contained the church calendar, parish directory and news, and some locals. The contributed articles were of high order. After six months it reduced its pages to magazine size, and in noting the change the editor remarked that it had passed successfully through its experimental days. We have only the issues of that year before us and cannot say when it was discontinued, but wish it had not been. In 1911, with a church debt to raise, Trinity Church (Methodist Episcopal) of West Medford issued its Beacon, with its pastor, Rev. Charles Tilton, at the managing and editorial helm. This was of magazine size and weekly. It was current for three years, continuing for a time after its objective was attained, during Mr. Tilton's pastorate. At the time of the mortgage burning, the Beacon had a special number printed in blue ink—but there was nothing else blue, but, rather, great rejoicing. In Trinity's ‘jubilee year,’ 1891-2, appeared Trinity Jubilee Chimes, Rev. M. L. Bullock, editor, sixteen pages, eight and one-half by twelve inches, two columns each. Published eight months of the year, it is now in its third volume. Its cover page is of attractive design, a central panel containing a reproduction (half-tone) of some great master's work. Primarily in the interest of Trinity's people, it is welcomed by all. Doubtless there are or have been others of this class which are worthy of mention, but which have not come to our notice. All such are worthy of preservation in the homes and libraries of our city. With this digression we return to our subject,—the journalism of Medford.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Views of Medford .
Women of the Mayflower and Plymouth Colony.
Mr. Stetson 's notes on information wanted.
Old ships and ship-building days of Medford .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.