Old ships and ship-building days of Medford.
Chapter 4: 1
After the War
of 1812, the northwest fur trade gradually declined for various reasons, the gradual extermination of the sea otter and competition by the British
being the principal ones.
By this time, cotton manufacturing, encouraged by the embargoes and by the War
of 1812, and later by a protective tariff, had increased enormously and a considerable amount was sent to the Far East
There was more specie in the country by this time, too, and this could be sent.
The trade in sandal-wood was also developed.
Previously the sandal-wood had been preserved almost religiously, but on the death of King Kamehameha, his son, Likoliko, who succeeded him, proceeded to realize on this preserve and stripped his domain, which he bartered for liquor, clothes and vessels.
For several years it proved a very lucrative trade until the supply was exhausted and a drug on the Canton
The brig Thaddeus
, commanded by Capt. A. Blanchard
, carrying the first missionaries, had landed at the Hawaiian Islands
. Captain William Hall
, who afterwards commanded several Medford
ships, made his first voyage as cabin boy on the Thaddeus
and wrote home a vivid account of the landing.
They were received by the chiefs and dignitaries, who were arrayed in miscellaneous feminine apparel which an enterprising trader had bartered a short time previously.
and the Tamahourelaune
were built in Medford
and sold in Hawaii
The History of Medford
says they were taken apart and sent out in the Thaddeus
, but this is probably incorrect, as Morison
in an article on the Hawaiian
trade gives reliable evidence that they were sailed
was renamed the Inore