The delta, 1822—Bennett delta, 1924.
By dedication of Bennett
memorial tablet on Sunday, May 11, 1924, the triangular park at junction of High and Grove streets is officially named Bennett
It was laid out and trees planted by its then owner, Peter Chardon Brooks
, a century ago, and was styled by Historian Rev. Charles Brooks
, ‘The Delta
It is really the beginning of Medford
's park system.
The exercises of dedication, attended by a vast throng, though weather conditions were adverse, were well carried out and reported by the local press.
The addresses by military and college officers dealt with the brief career of the young soldier, and our mayor's, which we have presented, with the historic significance of the place.
One noteworthy incident, however, he did not mention.
with eight of his valorous army led by their Indian guide’ came here, to the house of Nanepashemit
, ‘wherein being dead he lay buried’ on September 21, 1621.
This was the first white man's coming ere Medford
And another: that just across the street, ‘facing Woburn road’ was ‘the house of Golden Moore
,’ purchased by Thomas Brooks in 1660, and occupied by his son, Caleb Brooks
, on his coming to Medford
in 1679, and torn down by his grandson Samuel, just a century later.
It was the wish of Peter Chardon Brooks
that the estate should remain in the family as long as possible.
Not until 1909 was any portion of the Brooks
estate (west of the railroad) sold.
Then came the erection of numerous houses by the West Medford Real Estate
Trust and others, after a resident occupancy of the Brooks
families of two hundred and thirty years. And now, in these recent weeks has begun another development of a farther tract, between the railroad and parkway, overlooking Mystic lake
Restriction to erection of none but single or one family residences will ensure this territory as one of the most attractive, the equal of its opposite side known as Interlaken and Morningside.