Drawing was taught by the lady assistants from about 1858 to 1873, and well-executed copies of heads, animals, landscapes, and other objects were wont to be exhibited at the annual examinations.
In 1873 there came a sudden development of intense interest in the subject which spread through a large portion of the State
, Professor B. W. Putnam
, of Boston
, was employed to meet all the teachers at the High Schoolhouse
for a series of practical lessons which should qualify them to instruct their own pupils.
The High School alone was honored with a special instructor of the art from that time, and the succession has been as follows:—
Miss Frances C. Saxe
, from September 1, 1873, to June 1, 1878.
Miss Isabel Webster
, from September 1, 1878, to July 1, 1881.
Henry W. Poor
, from September 1, 1881, to October 1, 1885.
, from October 1, 1885, to July 1, 1809.
Miss George L. Norton
, from October 1, 1889, to June 30, 1891.
Miss Louise MacLeod
, from September 14, 1891.