This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
[p. 11] and inconvenient apartment in the rear of the Unitarian meetinghouse. Their idea of its fitness, as expressed in their annual report in March, 1836, was in the following words: ‘The room is far too small to secure the prosperity of the school or the health of the scholars. It is too low. The internal construction is bad. To alter or enlarge its brick walls would be expensive. To widen it would be awkward. To lengthen it there is no room.’ This likeness was evidently drawn (but drawn in vain) with a view of inducing the town to erect a more appropriate edifice. But that thing was patched and puttied and used (some say abused) for seven long years thereafter. The structure had been erected after the approved models of the time in 1795, and enlarged in 1807. It was deserted in 1843, except that in the winter of 1846-47 a school was kept there for boys who were too large or too rough for management by the lady teachers in the grammar schools, and too illiterate for admission to the High School. By vote of the town, the structure was demolished in 1848, and those who now wish to view its external appearance will find the following cut, reproduced from a drawing recently made from memory by one of the school's early pupils, surprisingly accurate.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.