The house erected for the school in 1843 and shared for twenty years with the Centre Grammar School
(now the Cradock) stood near its present site, with its gable toward the street.
Two elms, now standing upon the premises, having been planted at equal distances from its two front corners, define its location.
On the street the lot was bounded by a high board fence with solid gates, which gave
quite a house-of-correction aspect.
The two stately horsechestnuts inside the playground will not be soon forgotten, nor the pump which stood in the southeast corner.
In 1866, land having been purchased from the Magoun estate and several houses having been removed therefrom, the building was moved a short distance toward the southwest and turned one quarter round; a cellar was substituted for the brick basement; a stair tower was erected, and the entire structure was arranged for and dedicated to the use of the High School.
Furnaces took the place of stoves, and