[p. 20] Lincoln's home was directly opposite, and his land adjoined the Canal house land, which latter was a part of the Smith estate. He was a carpenter by trade, ‘one of the old stock,’ who knew and did excellent work; and a very worthy man. This street was a town way, and got its name because it was the way to Landing No. 4 of the Middlesex canal, the famous waterway which connected Boston harbor with the Merrimac river at Chelmsford (now Lowell) in 1803. Near this landing (now 120-122 Boston avenue) was the ‘canal tavern,’ such as were found at every lock along the canal's course. It was occupied at the time of the sale by Thomas Martin, an excellent stone-mason, who laid much of the stone wall on the Brooks estate. The Smith estate also included the brick house on Canal street, which was built in 1812 by the town for its almshouse, and all the land opposite from Prescott street, bordering Whitmore brook, except the ‘Gamage corner.’ None of the Smith estate houses were then occupied, until the writer took up his residence there. With the exception of the Mystic Hall building, all that triangle lying between High street, Boston avenue and Harvard avenue was not in 1870 a part of the Smith estate purchase, nor the square opposite as far as Trinity church. Without the use of camera (sky or otherwise) we will ask our readers now to form a picture of this broad tract as it appeared in 1870, bounded by the encircling river, the straight railway, and High street bending at Grove street park (now called Bennett delta). The railroad comes down hill a little to its crossing at High street, which continues nearly level to the delta. Harvard avenue slopes gradually away, more now than then, and the tract rises a little to its highest point at Holton and Monument streets, so little that its decriers (and there were such in ‘70) called the whole ‘the Flats’ and in pronouncing, the ‘a’ was very flat. Don't put many trees in your picture. There was a piece of springy ground on Jerome and Sherman streets,
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Old ships and Ship-building days of Medford .
Chapter 7 :
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.