[p. 22] had an extensive clientage, somewhat from the South. She laid much stress on the four departments of education in which she specialized—Moral, Mental, Physical and Graceful. After four years she unfortunately decided to move her school to Washington. She had scarcely been established there when there occurred the John Brown raid and the Civil War, which was disastrous to her enterprise, and the school was closed. After her return she lived perhaps in the old home till its burning, and later in the ‘mansion’ on Canal street. Whether the younger T. P. Smith or his father-in-law, Ebenezer, was one of the ‘Brooklands’ company referred to by the canal company's agent in his report, on closing the company's affairs in '52, we cannot say, but the canal's lands and tavern were in 1870 a part of that purchased of the trustees of the Smith estate. One, Benjamin E. Bates, had a plan made of the triangular plot next High street. It showed the outlines of Mystic Hall on its lot and seven distinct lots of from 35,000 to 65,000 square feet area. Evidently the day of small house lots had not then come. The plan was by a noted surveyor, J. F. Fuller of Boston. It was lithographed, and announced these lots for sale on Monday, October 29, 1866, at 3.30 P. M. by Samuel A. Walker, auctioneer of Boston, who was famed in his calling, and whose advertising posters were remarkable. This plan had a fine showing of Mr. Brooks' park with its trees, and showed Mr. Brooks' land bordering for some two hundred feet and ‘Heirs of Smith,’ also on the south. A copy of this lithograph, neatly framed, has recently come to our notice, and we have just learned that John Duane, who had been Mr. Brooks' gardener, was the only purchaser at that sale of Lot No. 1, 63,555 feet. He then lived in the gardener's house on Grove street, opposite the ‘slave wall,’ and purchasing the Brooks' greenhouses, rebuilt them there. The building of the Duane house on the cellar of the Smith mansion soon followed this and comes within our
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Old ships and Ship-building days of Medford .
Chapter 7 :
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.