[p. 23] remembrance. This is now the parochial residence of St. Raphael's Church, which stands on the site of the florist's greenhouses. Here we note another more extensive plan by the same Engineer Fuller, which covers the entire territory we have described, and some more. It is on scale of two hundred feet to an inch, but it bears no date, and shows the railway station in the obtuse angle east of the track where is now Playstead road. It shows a building in the extreme corner of Gorham Brooks' land (where is now the Medford Trust Co. banking rooms). It shows the outline of the large Smith ‘mansion house’ and larger barn, the lot and outlines of ‘Young Ladies' Seminary,’ the two houses of Breed, that of Simms, the canal house and the barn on Monument street. It also shows the old house belonging to the railroad at the Canal street crossing and the old almshouse of 1812 in its enlarged shape. This last would indicate that the plan was made subsequent to 1854, when that house was thus transformed. The outlines of the various bridges are clearly shown, as also the canal aqueduct and two bath houses south of it. There, an arrow points to ‘Tufts College, 3/4 mile.’ An irregularly bounded tract of 8.83 acres is there shown beyond the river (now the public reservation and parkway), its extreme corner being where the railroad crossed the canal. This point is where the tall chimney of the American Woolen Co. now stands. Beyond this is the legend, ‘Formerly oj Rev. Mr. Smith.’ Probably Engineer Fuller didn't anticipate the Mystic Valley parkway or the great fivestory concrete building now thereon. This plan is subsequent to that which shows in the Walling map of Medford, and to which Brooks' history refers. Numerous lithographic copies of it were printed and distributed at an auction sale of land on June 21, 1870. As was customary in those years agone, the promoters had a special train run out from Boston on the occasion. Tables had been set up on the lot where the
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Old ships and Ship-building days of Medford .
Chapter 7 :
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.