[p. 29] street of the Fuller plan was given the name of Jerome in respect to Jerome B. Judkins, one of the land purchasing company, at suggestion of E. W. Metcalf, who started the petition. This was because there was already another street of that name in town. For the same reason Winthrop was called Sharon, suggested by the Morse brothers in respect of their old home town. Linden became Fairfield avenue in honor of a worthy resident of that name. Minot became Boston avenue, and Riverside avenue, Arlington street, the town just having given the former name to old Ship street. Holton street is named in honor of another of the ‘land company’ who laid it out to make possible a corner lot for Trinity Church. First, from Bower to Boston avenue, it was later extended to Sharon, where is the Hervey school. This tract of land we have described is bounded on one side by four shining bands of steel, kept bright by the car wheels; on another by High street, with its dark granite walls, and on the other for over a mile, by the shining waters of the Mystic. But even that has changed. There are now no marshes and tides, no more flow and ebb. Its channel is deeper and its banks somewhat changed and the island gone, and a border along its edge has been taken by the Commonwealth for a public reservation. Along the Arlington side is the parkway, and eventually there must be one on the other, already partially graded. Over it courses a ceaseless flow of pleasure travel by automobile, something unknown in 1870, as was equally unknown the electric street and house lighting, which displaced the gas that still remains to do our cooking. As early as 1871 our boys had the ‘devil's fiddle’ (mother's tomato can and a string), but now almost every house has its telephone. The treeless plain of 1870 now has its shaded streets and well-kept dwellings. Instead of the forty dwellers, if you wish to know how many now, get the latest list of residents of ward six and count
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Old ships and Ship-building days of Medford .
Chapter 7 :
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.