of neglect and ill-usage has been restored to proper condition.
We refer to the so-called Indian monument in Sagamore park.
An interested historian from a nearby town, who has written an extensive account of ‘Monuments to Indians
,’ visited our city two years ago (in search of facts regarding it) and found it prone on the ground, as it had just been overturned by disorderly boys.
The story of its original erection by Mr. Francis Brooks
in 1884, with view of it on its original site, may be found in the Register, Vol.
XV, p. 30, told under the caption ‘The Passing of a Medford Estate.’
In the development of the land of the Brooks
estate by the purchasing Real Estate
Trust, the triangular space to which the monument has been removed was created and given the name of Sagamore
This, with the monument, has been conveyed to the city of Medford
and is now in charge of its park commission, which caused the re-erection of the monument on January 9, 1925.
Accounts of the remains there deposited had varied somewhat, and at request of Supt. Edward Adams
the writer was present on November 13, 1924, when the box was removed from the cavity and opened.
There were also present by request Mr. Calvin W. Lewis
(the historian referred to) and Mr. Frank Lincoln
, an old resident.
James M. Blake
, Thomas Blakie
, thirteen interested boys and a few ladies residing nearby also appeared upon the scene.
The wooden box was much decayed.
From it Superintendent Adams
removed the remains of those ‘whose bones lie here’—we quote the words of Mr. Brooks
' inscription as expression of the fact.
When originally discovered they were found buried in a sitting posture, but in the box they were simply packed in, in no particular order.
There were several Indian hammers of stone among them, and a china teacup with gilt ornamentation, evidently of modern make.
This was filled with arrow-heads of stone, and among them the following