diary about one of the earliest mentioned women in Medford
The story reads: ‘One Dalkin of Medford
, with his wife, had been to Cambridge
for the Sabbath, and returning found the tide too high at the ford for a safe passage.
got over but told his better-half to wait for the tide to recede; but she persisted in crossing, and losing her footing was borne along by the current.
shouted loudly for help and their faithful dog plunged in after his mistress, who, seizing the dog's tail, was safely towed ashore.’
Another road was in time developed, first called ‘the way to Blanchard
was the owner of a house built in 1657, then in Malden
, but now by annexation, in Medford
, the oldest house in our city.
We know it as the Blanchard-Bradbury-Wellington house.
Next, this road was Distil-house lane, later Ship street and now Riverside avenue.
In 1754 two portions of Charlestown
were annexed, on opposite sides of Medford
, extending from top of Winter hill
a mile into present Winchester
To be concluded in December Issue