On Marm Simonds hill.The second meetinghouse of Medford was built two centuries ago. Its story is preserved, with a view, in the Register, Vol. VII, No. 4, by F. H. C. Woolley. One of its door-stones has for many years laid at the basement ‘side-door’ entrance of 279 High street (site of the first meetinghouse), residence of Robert J. Long. Among notes regarding the meetinghouses, collected by Mr. L. L. Dame, and furnished by Mrs. Ruth (Dame) Coolidge, is the following, which confirms the story we have previously heard:—
Mr. Hillman formerly lived at 279 High street. Mr. Johnson's home was backward at end of High street court, now that of Frederic Whitman. In 1870 Mr. Johnson's son-in-law, Milton F. Roberts (recently deceased), erected his dwelling at the corner of High street and court, the only new one between the brook and Woburn street in over a half century.