meadow land, a dwelling house, one-fourth right in the grist mill and access to the clay pits.
It does not appear when the land was cleared of timber, but that process undoubtedly began with the first Brooks
, for he reserved the right to make use of the landing place at the rock.
The clay pits were doubtless made use of by a later generation at least, for Caleb Brooks
of Revolutionary fame, a brick-maker by trade, could hardly have neglected to utilize the clay beds that lay at hand.
The first of the Brooks
family to take up actual residence in Medford
was Caleb, son of Thomas
In 1679 he made his abode in the house referred to on the south side of the present High street, opposite the delta.
That nineteen years elapsed between the sale to Thomas
and the settlement by Caleb is probably accounted for by the fact that the land had meanwhile been leased to Moore
On the death of his father in 1667, Caleb's portion of the estate appears to have comprised all the land on the east side of Grove street, and the northern part of that on the west side between Grove street and the upper Mystic pond
, as well as the eastern part of the property lying south of High street, including the house which he occupied.
died in Medford
His real estate
was divided between his two sons.
Ebenezer, the eldest, and the grandfather of Governor John Brooks
, received, as nearly as can be determined, that part lying south of High street including his father's house, part of the land on the east side of Grove street, from Symmes
corner as far south as Slow pond, now Brooks pond
, and the land west of this between Grove
street and the upper Mystic pond
On the death of Ebenezer in 1743, his four sons inherited his real estate
They and their descendants held the property until about the time of the Revolution, when they sold all their Medford
possessions and moved away.
The house occupied by Ebenezer later fell to Samuel and Caleb, respectively, grandson and great-grandson of Caleb, the original