previous next


Shocking case of Burning.

--A Mrs. Whittaker, residing on Main street, between 22d and 23d, was terribly burned yesterday afternoon, by the ignition of her clothing. It appears that the poor woman was somewhat addicted to habits of dissipation, and her husband, on leaving home yesterday, locked her up in her room. About 2 o'clock, some boys in the vicinity heard her scream for help, and gave the alarm, when Mr. Wm. H. Smith burst the door open, and found her lying under a table with her clothes in flames. Her injuries were very severe, and everything possible was done to alleviate her sufferings; but it was supposed she could not long survive. It is presumed that her garments caught from the fire place, and her situation was such that she could not extinguish the flames.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Whittaker (1)
William H. Smith (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: