papers of Thursday contain a call from Gov. Pickcas
for the assembling of the South Carolina
State Convention, on the 20th inst. They also contain the following items of interest:
The first war vessel put afloat by South Carolina
since the War
of Independence, 1776, was bought by Gov. Pickens
, and altered for service, armed with twenty-four pounders, and regularly equipped.
She started last night on the harbor defence, with her complement of enlisted men: Lieut. T. B. Huger
, commanding, with 1st Lieut. Doner
and lieut. Grimball
She is ready.
for her work of defence, and Gov. Pickens
has directed her to be named Lady Davis
in compliment to the lady of the first President
of our Confederate States
A close observation with the aid of a large glass, shows that the parapet guns facing Fort Moultrie
have been concentrated on the east face of this work, to bear on Cuming's Point; it is possible, however, that some of these could be brought to bear in the direction of Moultrie
, if mounted on traverses.
The guns are apparently crowded, and this shows that Major Anderson
proposed paying his respects to a considerable extent to the ugly looking batteries on the point.
Cols. T. G. Lamar
and A. L. Dearing
, Aids to Governor Pickens
, by direction of the Governor
, took charge of the working hands on the Morris' Island
batteries for the last eight or ten days. The gallant volunteers, under Col. Marcy Gregg
, most patriotically came forward to do the work in the trenches and on the batteries, like real patriots, considering that to work in the trenches and on the batteries, like real patriots, considering that to work for the batteries was in fact equal to fighting, because it prepared the work to do the fighting.
They came forward in numbers of from one to two and three hundred and fifty, every six hours changing and relieving each other.