Distressing case of Poisoning.
--On Saturday afternoon a family named Stevenson
, residing in a building on the Germantown
, moved out of the house.
, who occupied the lower portion of the premises, went up stairs with woman's curiosity to examine the vacated rooms, and was gratified at finding a package containing what she supposed to be saleratus.
Being delighted with her prize, she immediately set to work to make up some bread, using the powder as freely as though it was what she supposed it to be. After the bread was baked Mr. McGee
came home, and he and the wife, together with their son-in-law and daughter, named McVey
, eat freely of the bread, and in a short time were taken violently ill. A physician was called in, who found the patients suffering very much, showing every symptom of having taken arsenic.
The usual antidotes were administered, but they proved of no avail, as Mr. McGee
died the next morning, and the wife died in the afternoon.
The son-in-law and daughter are likely to recover.