--The soap and candle factory in rear of Franklin
street, formerly owned and used as a place of business by Mr. Edw'd McAdam
, at present by Mr. John Murphy
, was discovered to be on fire last night about half-past 10 o'clock, the torch, having been no doubt designedly applied.
Owing to the combustible nature of the materials used in the business, most of the interior of the house was consumed.
Under the same roof — that part used as a stable--two or more fine horses were suffocated before a rescue could be effected. --The hand fire-engines
were early on the ground, and rendered effective service in preventing the spread of the flames.
We have no means of ascertaining the amount of loss, but suppose it will reach at least $2,000.