House burned down — loss of life.
--The alarm of fire about 12 o'clock on Wednesday night, was caused by the burning of the dwelling-house of Benjamin Thompson
, a free man of color, located near the head of Clay
, on 18th street. The fire had gotten good headway before its discovery.
The rear part of the tenement being of wood, the flames raged with great fierceness, burning up nearly all the interior of the brick house and all the top, together with most of the furniture.
A negro woman named Eliza, owned by Stern & Newman
, traders, who was sick, and sleeping in the rear of the main building, was suffocated by the smoke, and her body nearly burnt past recognition before it was released.
It is the generally received opinion that the fire was accidental.