--Yesterday morning, about 3 o'clock, the grocery store of Wm. Mantel
, corner of Duval and Clark streets, was discovered to be on fire, and in a very few moments thereafter the entire building was enveloped in a sheet of flames.
Soon after, the alarm bells aroused the Fire Brigade
, and within due time they arrived at the scene, but not until the flames had fired the adjoining tenement on the west, occupied by Mr. Chick
The steam engine was then set to work, and in an incredibly short time the tops of all the buildings in the neighborhood were completely saturated, and then the burning pile was extinguished.
Mantel had an insurance of $2,000 on his stock of goods, every vestige of which was consumed, as his family and himself were from home at the time, attending a ball.
The building was owned by Thomas Jones
, and was insured for $800. The tenement occupied by Mr. Chick
belongs to Jas. Ellett
, and was insured.
lost a portion of his furniture, and other portions were damaged by water.
's residence, west of Chick
's, was also on fire at one time, but the firemen extinguished the flames before the building was seriously damaged.
It is but justice to the Fire Brigade
to say, that they were not only promptly at the scene of conflagration, notwithstanding the long run they had to take, but that they labored hard, and were very successful in preventing the spreading of the flames, as most of the buildings in the neighborhood are framed ones.
The fire, no doubt, was the work of an incendiary, as it originated in the store, which was securely closed and guarded by a vicious dog.