--On Sunday night week a daughter of Mr. Philip A. Cox
, residing near Marion, Arkansas
, met with a terrible death.
She was sitting before a fire reading a news paper, when a spark from the embers flew into her lap. All unconscious of the fact, she kept on reading until her clothes had ignited almost beyond possibility of being put out, and she ran screaming from the room.
Her father met her in the hall covered with flames, and being unable to subdue them, seized his child and threw her over the balcony into the mud, where finally her clothing was extinguished, but not until she had inhaled the deadly flames.
She lingered a few hours in terrible agony, when death put an end to her sufferings.--Memphis Avalanche, 7th.