previous next

Details of war News.
Proclamation of Gen. Banks.
Terrible explosion at Washington.
the St. Nicholas affair.
&c., &c., &c.

We received yesterday afternoon a copy of the Baltimore American, of the 10th, from which we gather the following paragraphs in regard to events transpiring at the North.--The tendencies of the paper from which we copy are decidedly in favor of the Lincoln Administration, and we therefore do not regard everything it says as entirely correct:

Gen. Banks' Proclamation.

Hdqrs. Department of Annapolis, July 10, 1861.
By virtue of authority vested in me as Commanding Officer of this Department, I have appointed, and do hereby appoint, George R. Dodge, Esq., of Baltimore, Marshal of Police, vice Col. John R. Kenly, who, being relieved of this service at his own request, now assumes command of the 1st Regiment of Maryland Volunteers on the Upper Potomac, in the State of Maryland.

I have made this appointment at the suggestion and upon the advice of very many influential and honorable citizens of Baltimore, representing its different sections, parties and interests; and in order that public opinion shall have proper influence, and the civil authority due weight in all municipal affairs, it is my desire and expectation that the Marshall will receive suggestion, advice, and direction from them and other loyal citizens, as from all the departments of the Government of the city, and in all respects to administer every department of the Police law in full freedom for the peace and prosperity of the city, and the honor and perpetuity of the United States.

N. P. Banks,
Major General Commanding the Department of Annapolis.

Headquarters Dep't of Annapolis

Fort McHenry July 10, 1861.
Special Orders No. 1.

I. The regiments now stationed near the centre of the city of Baltimore will break up their camps at 3 o'clock P. M. to-day, and resume the positions heretofore occupied by them in the suburban portions of the city, viz:

The Nineteenth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel Lyel, near Fort McHenry.

The Eighteenth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel Lewis, Federal Hill.

The Twenty-second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel Morehead, Mount Clare Station.

The Twentieth Regiment New York Volunteers, Col. Pratt, Patterson Park.

The Thirteenth Regiment New York Volunteers, Col. Smith, on West Baltimore street.

The Eighth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers, Col. Hinks, on Baltimore street.

The Battery of Light Artillery, Massachusetts Volunteers, Major Cook, Mount Clare Station.

II. When re-established in quarters the commanding officers will not allow the men of their respective commands to visit the city without permission obtained for that purpose from the commanding officers of the company and regiment to which they are attached. When such permission is granted it will be for good cause, and those who receive it will be required to leave their arms in camp, to avoid controversy or collision with citizens, and to carefully observe and obey the laws and ordinances of the city.

No soldier who violates the rule should be permitted to enjoy the privilege a second time. Any soldier who violates the ordinances established for the government of the city will be punished by the civil tribunals, according to the laws of the State. The Commanding General enjoins upon all officers in command — in addition to the military instruction of the officers and men required of them — especial attention to the 73d paragraph of the Army Regulations, viz:

‘"All commanders ought to encourage useful occupations and manly exercises and diversions among their men, and to repress dissipation and immorality."’

By order of Maj. Gen. Banks.
Robt. Williams, Ass't. Adj't. Gen.

The St. Nicholas affair — another expedition after Col. Thomas' schooner.

We learn that the steamer Chester, Captain E. S. L. Young, was taken possession of at her wharf at 4 o'clock yesterday morning, by order of Provost Marshal Kenly, for an expedition to the mouth of the Potomac, which admitted of no delay. The Chester was firing up for her usual trip to Chestertown, and was ready for immediate service. She proceeded directly to Fort McHenry, where Gen. Banks had in readiness an armament of two 24 pounders, an artillery company, an infantry company, and a posse of police officers, under Lieut. Carmichael and Officer Horner, which were soon placed on board, and she steamed down the river. Orders were also immediately given to stop all the bay steamers that usually start at an early hour, to prevent any possibility of information being given that might tend to the defeat of the purposes of the expedition.

Information was received on Monday night that Col. Richard Thomas, (the French lady,) with his seven companions, had reached Fair Haven from a schooner, which had brought them down the Rappahannock and was wait- ing off the mouth of the Potomac for some purpose in connection with Col. Thomas' visit to Baltimore. Col. Kenly, therefore, immediately resolved to attempt her capture, and being unable to engage a steamer with the essential secrecy, seized the Chester as above stated. He had also reason to believe that persons in the city were in collusion with Col. Thomas, whatever his designs may have been, and that several parties of men left the city in omnibuses on Monday, prior to the arrest of Col. Thomas, going towards North Point, designed, it was presumed, to furnish the schooner with an armed crew for future operations.

The Chester did not get off until near 7 o'clock, but as no other steamer was allowed to leave the port, it is probable that the schooner will be captured with all on board and brought to the city.

Colonel Thomas is a son of the late Hon. Richard Thomas, of St. Mary's county, for many years President of the Maryland Senate, and a nephew of ex-Governor James Thomas. We have not ascertained the names of the parties arrested with him, but it is believed that none of them are Baltimoreans.

Lieutenant Carmichael says that he was informed that the party on board the schooner done their best to persuade Colonel Thomas not to come up to Baltimore, and some of them even endeavored to hold him by force. Finding that he was determined to come, seven of his companions resolved to accompany him.--What was the object of their visit is variously surmised, but it is presumed to have been to attempt another piratical seizure of one of our river steamers and the capture of any vessels that might be found in the bay.

The Chester returned at midnight, having failed in capturing the schooner, though they got on her track. She went about six miles up the Patuxent river to Millstone landing, and ascertained that the schooner had been there during the morning, having on board about 30 men, all well armed with bright muskets. The steamer remained at the landing a couple of hours and then returned to the city. The gunboat Benwood was overhauled and put on the track of the schooner, and she will have to keep a sharp look out to escape capture.

The following are copies of papers found on Colonel Thomas at the time of his arrest at Fort McHenry. It will be seen that it was his intention to pass whilst in the city under the assumed name of Col. R. T. Zaroona:

The Commonwealth of Virginia to Richard Thomas Zaroona, greeting:

Know you, that from special trust and confidence reposed in your fidelity, courage and good conduct, our Governor, in pursuance of the authority vested in him by an ordinance of the Convention of the State of Virginia, doth commission you a Colonel in the Active Volunteer forces of the State, to rank as such from the first day of July, eighteen hundred and sixty-one.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto signed my name as Governor, and caused the seal of the Commonwealth to be affixed, this second day of July, eighteen hundred and sixty-one.


City of Richmond, Va., to wit:

This day appeared before me, Joseph Mayo, Mayor of the city of Richmond, Richard Thomas Zaroona, and qualified to the within commission by taking the oath prescribed by law.

Given under my hand this 21 day of July, A. D. 1861. (Signed)

Joseph Mayo, Mayor.

Executive Department

Richmond July 3, 1861.
Permit Colonel R. T. Zaroona, of the Potomac Zouaves, to pass at will, free, over the roads and rivers of this Commonwealth upon his own certificate, and upon like certificate pass his men and baggage.

All officers, civil and military, will respect him and give him such facilities as he may require, in their power to afford.

By order, S. Bassett French.
Aid-de-Camp to Governor of Va.
(Signed) John Letcher.

He also had with him a letter of credit on a Baltimore house for the sum of one thousand dollars, declaring that the check of Col. Zaroona to that amount would be duly honored by Messrs. R. H. Maury & Co., of Richmond.

Seizure of steamers by the Government.

Gen. Banks, acting under the direction of the authorities at Washington, yesterday seized the steamers Mary Washington and George W. Weems, both owned and commanded by the Weems Brothers. These steamers have been running for a number of years between Baltimore and the ports of the Patuxent river, and it is said carried down a number of passengers who joined the Confederate army. Both captains are well known in this city and bear a high character. The seizure was to prevent their being taken in a similar manner to the St. Nicholas, and run into Fredericksburg as prizes.

Removal of troops.

The detachment of the Twentieth New York Regiment, which has been stationed during the last twelve days at the Eastern Police Station, and the Public School building, corner of Broad way and Bank street, Baltimore, under charge of Lieutenant Colonel Gates, yesterday vacated their quarters, and returned to the camp at Patterson Camp.

The detachment immediately under command of Col. Pratt still remains at the Custom-House, the officers being provided with comfortable quarters in one of the rooms near the southern entrance to the rotunda, in which latter place the command are quartered. Col. Lyle's National Guard Regiment still occupy their position in Monument Square.


The celebrated DeKalb Regiment just formed in New York city, Col. Leopold Giles in command, was expected to reach Baltimore last evening, at the President Street Depot, en route for Washington, but were detained unexpectedly on the way, and will reach here at an early hour this morning, when they may be expected by way of the Northern Central Railway. They number 1,046 men, exclusive of 54 musicians, and last evening an immense crowd of persons assembled at the Camden Station to witness their arrival and departure.

Entertainment to the military.

The military stationed in the city of Baltimore are in constant receipt of evidences of friendly feeling and sympathy from the neighbors in the vicinities in which they have been stationed. On Monday afternoon Messrs. Kimberly Brothers invited the entire command stationed on Greenmount avenue to a sumptuous dinner, provided for them in one of the rooms of their spacious beef-packing establishment on McKim street.

The tables were loaded with the substantials of life well served up, and nearly one hundred and fifty of them spent a couple of hours in a most agreeable manner. The officers were in attendance, and patriotic sentiment and friendly feeling to the citizens of Baltimore were the prevailing expression of the entire corps. The room was decorated with flags and mottoes of welcome.

Payment of troops.

Major Judd, Paymaster of the United States Army at Baltimore, yesterday paid off the members of Twentieth New York Regiment their full pay for three months. A great proportion of the men sent remittances to their families at home.

Terrible explosion at Washington and loss of life.

The Washington Star, of last evening, gives the following particulars of a terrible accident in that city yesterday morning:

This morning, about six o'clock, the right section of the Second Rhode Island Marine Battery proceeded, as usual, to their drill ground, near the encampment of the New York Mozart Regiment. Just after the drill, as the section was about to execute a countermarch, and while the horses were on a walk, the limber of the second piece suddenly blew up, hurling the three men sitting upon it into the air, severely injuring the riders, and frightening the horses so as to cause a general stampede, which, however, was immediately checked.

The limber contained about half-a-dozen blank cartridges, six solid shot and six canister shot, the latter of which did the most of the damage. The men upon the limber were Corporal Nathan J. Morse, Jr, died in twenty minutes; Wm. E. Bourn, died in ten minutes; and Edward R. Freeman, leg badly fractured and supposed to be injured internally. The rider of one of the wheel horses, Richard Thornley, had the back of his head injured quite seriously, and his back badly scorched. The wounded men are under the care of the surgeons of the Regiment, and the remains of the killed will be forwarded under an escort to Providence, R. I., where all the parties lived.

But one horse was wounded to any extent — the wheel horse being scorched and burned, but not otherwise injured.

The only damage sustained by the gun carriage was the destruction of the limber and the loss of one spoke of a wheel. The gun was not injured in the least.

It is impossible to determine the cause of the explosion, as the horses were walking quietly along, upon the smooth ground. Some are of opinion that it resulted from friction between the shot and some foreign substance, which might have been introduced into the caisson either by accident or design. The guns have been visited by hundreds near the camp, and matches, &c., could have been placed in the box containing the cartridges; but we are unwilling to believe any man so lost to all feelings of humanity as to commit such a horrid act.

From Alexandria.

Alexandria, July 9.
--The first passenger train on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad made a trip to Cameron's run this morning, with Company A of the Zouaves, and Company B of the Michigan First Regiment. Cameron's run is about four miles out, and is the furthest point on the road to which our picket at present extends.

Movements of Gen. M'Clellan's column.

Buckhannon, July 9.
--It is stated that Col. Tyler succeeded in throwing one company into Glenville last night, with provisions for the nine companies of the 17th and 19th Ohio Regiments, who were represented by a previous dispatch as being besieged there by a superior force of Confederates.

He was only waiting the arrival of the 10th Regiment, which left here last night for that point, to begin the attack on Col. Wise's command.

Gen. McClellan left Middle Ford Bridge early this morning with the evident design of reaching a point 22 miles east of here, where the Secessionists are represented as in large numbers, and strongly entrenched.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
September, 7 AD (2)
July 10th, 1861 AD (2)
February, 7 AD (1)
January, 7 AD (1)
July 21st, 1861 AD (1)
July 3rd, 1861 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: