Richmond, July 16th, 1861.
In the Requisition for the Militia
, called for by the President
of the Confederate States
, and embraced in the Proclamation of the Executive
of the 13th inst., the following classes of persons will be exempted from the call:
- First.--All Operatives employed in the manufacture of Arms, Ammunition, and other Munitions of War, and of Woolen Goods for the Troops and the persons superintending such Operatives, whether the manufacture be for the Confederate States or for the State of Virginia.
Employees of the Southern Express Company.
In each case the person or persons employed must obtain the certificate of the Military Officer or Department employing him or them, before the exemption will be allowed.
- Second.--All Officers of Banks and their Branches who shall be certified by the President thereof to be necessary for carrying on the operations of the Institution.
- Third.--Overseers of Farms, who shall produce the certificate of their employer or other authorized agent, that they are so employed.
- Fourth.--All Millers necessarily and personally employed in any Grist Mill, upon the production of a certificate of their being so employed, by some Justice of the Peace of their county or corporation.
- Fifth.--The Police of the cities of Richmond, Staunton and Fredericksburg upon the production of a certificate of their office from the Mayor of such city or corporation.
- Sixth.--Persons necessary to the operation and running of Railroads, and the repair of their rolling stock; also, those necessary to the operation of Telegraph Lines, upon the production of certificates from the Presidents or Superintendents of such Railroads, or the Managers of such Telegraph Lines.
In addition to these exemptions, persons are authorized to obtain members of Volunteer Companies for the War
out of the ranks of the Militia Companies, under the Proclamation of the Executive
calling for three thousand men, until that number are obtained; and when such a Volunteer Company is organized, the persons enrolled therein are to be exempt from Militia duty, upon producing the certificate of the Captain
of such Company.
All officers enrolling the Militia
, or mustering them into service, are hereby ordered to allow the exemptions herein mentioned, and give a written discharge to those who may have been enrolled or mustered into service, when satisfied that the parties are entitled to exemption.
All papers publishing the Proclamation calling out the Militia
, will publish this order.