previous next

The fight on the Kanawha.
a Federal account.

The Cincinnati Commercial has the following account of the fight at Scarey Creek, in which a small portion of Gen. Wise's command, under Lieut. Col. Patton, engaged a superior force of the enemy:

‘ The steamer Dunlefth, Capt. A. D. Wilson, arrived from Parkersburg yesterday, bringing the latest intelligence from the Kanawha River. The reports being somewhat contradictory, we give the statements of both loyal and rebel authorities.

Capt. Hugh Campbell, of the Government transport steamer Mary Cook, who came passenger in the Dunlefth, reports that a severe action took place on Thursday afternoon, between the rebels and the Federal troops under Col. Lowe, of the 12th Ohio Regiment, and seven companies of Col. Norton's regiment. Capt. Campbell did not learn any satisfactory details, but states that our troops exhausted all their ammunition, and retired, after severe loss, with their two field-pieces.

The Federal fleet was lying below Potella Creek, and the action took place at ‘"Scarey, "’ some distance in the interior. It appears that our troops were sent out with orders to make a reconnaissance, but not attack the enemy, who were in a strongly entrenched position, numbering 1500 strong — unless it appeared the position could be easily carried.

Captain Campbell reported that Col. Norton was severely wounded while gallantly encouraging his men to charge, and he was left on the field and captured by the enemy.

The extent of our loss is not known, but we infer that it was quite serious. The enemy also suffered seriously. Col. Lowe sent back during the action for ammunition, and Gen. Cox sent it forward with reinforcements, but our troops were met returning from the field. Lieutenant Pomeroy, of Ottawa, Ohio, was mortally wounded, and sent to this city on the steamer Dunlefth, but he expired at Gallipolis. One private in the Cavalry company, which forms part of Gen. Cox's Brigade, was killed.

Col. Woodruff and Lieut. Col. Neff, of the 2d Kentucky Regiment, and Maj. DeVilliers, of the 8th Ohio, were at the engagement as spectators, and when Captain Campbell left Pocatella Creek, twenty hours after the conflict, they had not returned. The inference is strong that they were taken prisoners, and we are afraid our troops met with a severe reverse. Capt. Campbell reports that they fought gallantly, and did not retire until their ammunition was completely exhausted.

A rebel's statement.

Captain W. O. Roseberry, who, it will be remembered, was arrested at Point Pleasant, Va., and taken to Columbus, Ohio, but subsequently released, being charged with sympathy with the rebels, was also among the passengers by the steamer Dunlefth. The following is his version of the conflict:

‘ On the 17th, Gen. Cox ordered the 12th Ohio, Col. Lowe, two companies of the 21st Ohio, together with the Cleveland Artillery and Capt. Rogers' Cavalry company from Ironton, Ohio, to cross the Kanawha river at the mouth of Pokey Creek, twenty miles below Charleston, and reconnoitre the rebel camp five miles above, on the South side or right hand bank of the Kanawha, three miles below the mouth of Coal river, and to cannonade and to draw them out, in order to estimate their force, and, if easily captured, to take their batteries, the enemy being fortified.

When within three hundred yards of the battery, they were fired into by rebels, under command of Col. Tompkins, from three to five pieces of artillery, when a general engagement ensued, lasting about two hours, when the rebels were reinforced, and the Federal troops compelled to retreat. Col. Norton; of the 21st Ohio, was wounded, shot in the hip and taken prisoner; Capt. Allen killed — ball in the forehead, just between the eyes; Lieutenant Pomeroy was shot through the hip. He died on the Dunlefth, when the boat was near Gallipolis. The remains will be forwarded to his home, in Ottawa, Putnam county, Ohio, to-day. Lieutenant Pomeroy and Captain Allen were in Company B, 21st Ohio, Colonel Norton. During the engagement, De Villiers, (11th Ohio,) Col. Woodruff, Lieut. Col. Neff, and several Captains of the 2d Kentucky, mounted, rode up opposite the scene of action, and had not returned to their camp up to 12 M., on the 18th inst. The rebels were reported to be 1,500 strong, previous to being reinforced.

A flag of truce had been sent out by the Federals, asking the privilege of visiting the rebel camp to gather the dead and wounded Petitions were also sent from Pt. Pleasant, signed by Capt. Norton, asking privilege to bring the Colonel back, who was reported wounded.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Norton (5)
Hugh Campbell (5)
Pomeroy (3)
Lowe (3)
Henry Cox (3)
Woodruff (2)
Neff (2)
Allen (2)
Wise (1)
A. D. Wilson (1)
W. C. Tompkins (1)
W. O. Roseberry (1)
Rogers (1)
Patton (1)
DeVilliers (1)
De Villiers (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1500 AD (1)
18th (1)
17th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: